Executive Director search for the Ohio Library Council
We are pleased to assist another organization with their search for an executive leadership position. Our client the Ohio Library Council is seeking an Executive Director to lead the statewide professional association which represents the interests of Ohio’s public libraries, their trustees, associates, and staff.
The Ohio Library Council is the singular statewide professional association which represents the interests of Ohio’s public libraries. The membership of the OLC is composed of public library systems, library trustees, Friends of the Library groups, library staff members, other library institutions, and library-related commercial vendors. The OLC’s mission is to be the forum by which Ohio’s public library community is strengthened through advocacy, education, collaboration, and innovation.
The Executive Director serves as the organization’s chief administrator by providing management and oversight for all OLC’s programs and initiatives. S/he acts as the key spokesperson and the face of the organization. As such, the Executive Director is the primary liaison to all internal and external partners/stakeholders, government officials, and the larger community of library-oriented organizations, professionals, and associates. Additionally, as a principle advisor and strategic partner to the Board of Directors, s/he also ensures that strategic action plans are successfully implemented and that outcomes are thoroughly reported.
As the top executive officer, the organization’s goals and objectives are, in essence, the charge of the Executive Director. By creative and judicious usage of the OLC’s collective resources and capital s/he will:
- Advocate the interests of Ohio’s public libraries, with a focused commitment to ensure adequate state funding.
- Develop high-quality public library administrators, staff members, Trustees, and Friends through unsurpassed education and training.
- Position the OLC as the collective voice for Ohio’s public libraries and the authoritative source of information on issues impacting Ohio’s public libraries.
- Sustain an organizational structure that is flexible and responsive to members’ needs, inspires member engagement, and reinforces organizational success.
You should bring the following education, experience and qualifications to the role:
- 10 or more years of relevant career experience [including supervisory experience] is required.
- Experience as a leader in a small- to medium-size professional association or not-for-profit organization is required.
- Experience with the principles and practices of association management is required.
- Experience interacting with donors, grantors, senior level executives, community stakeholders, and high-profile individuals is required.
- Experience collaborating with and influencing board members or trustees is required.
- Experience developing and executing strategic plans is required.
- Experience working as part of a senior management team is required.
- Experience in media relations and as an organization spokesperson is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, library science, or a related field is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- A CAE [Certified Association Executive] credential via the American Society of Association Executives [ASAE] is preferred.
- Experience with the purposes and function of libraries is preferred.
- Experience in a member-based organization is preferred.
Position Benefits Include:
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, and more.
- Generous paid time off benefits.
You can find the posting here or you can send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have a colleague who may be interested, please feel free to share this with them.